I have been trying for many months to find and attend fibromyalgia support group meetings. I found "Fibromadness" an online group, had several meetups in the Denver area planned. But after half a dozen of their events were cancelled, several of which I showed up to only to find they had been cancelled, I have given up hope on that.
The Rocky Mountain ME/CFS-FM is currently not scheduling any events. They apparently have not held events since 2012.
The Federal Heights group, Colorado Fibromyalgia Network, no longer even has a website, according to their listing on the National Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain Association.
There are is one group in the Colorado Springs area and another in Fort Collins... but those are long drives for Colorado winter, and if I arrived to find the event cancelled, it would be a cruel joke. Even then, the Ft. Collins group doesn't have a scheduled meeting until February of 2014.
I guess I will have to rely on online group meetings, if I can get in! One group I applied for took weeks to acknowledge a request to join and have obvious issues with managing their website and chat sessions.
I've been trying to find resources... It just doesn't seem like any are available for the Denver area.
Yeah... I went to the Meet Up site in the Denver area, and found the ones you talked about...
ReplyDeleteChronic Pain and Fibromyalgia Support Group with 13 Pain Diffusers
FIBROMADNESS with 81 fibromites
Disabled People Want To Meetup Too! with 335 in Littleton
Living with Chronic Illness Therapy Group in Denver with 91 members
Living with Chronic Illness Therapy Group in Longmont with 52 Health Seekers
Project Hope in Denver with 51 Project Hopefuls
It's really a bummer that you cannot find more support....
Praying that you find it soon!
Did you say that you are being treated by the Colorado Fibromyalgia Center at South Pointe Medical in Lafayette, CO? Seems like they would have a Support Group as a part of their treatment plans, and if not... that would be a real BAD!!!
ReplyDeleteI feel for ya... I am so glad that my surgeons office had a weekly support group for folks with breast cancer.... Stats showed that BC patients with support lived 30% longer than those without...
So I think you are right on target in avidly pursuing a group!!!
I hadn't seen some of those groups since I hadn't searched Meetup itself directly, nice find.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, only two of those groups have an events scheduled. The Chronic Pain and Fibromyalgia Support Group and Project Hope both have no meetings scheduled.
I joined Fibromadness, but they cancel their events most of the time. I got tired of RSVPing, and either finding it the day before, or upon arrival, that the even was cancelled. Out of the six Fibromadness events that I planned to attend, all were cancelled except one, which I was sick for. I still get notices for cancelled events in my inbox from them almost weekly. Point being, Fibromadness is not a reliable support group.
Disabled People Want To Meetup Too could be promising as they actually have a meeting scheduled.